Saturday, September 24, 2011

BBQ Pork (Chinese Style) (Char Siu)

So I really, really, really miss this hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant back home. Their best, most delicious bit of food was bbq spare ribs. We just call it, "SWEET PORK!" So I googled it and, because I didn't know the cut of meat, I found this recipe. When I brought the ingredients home my husband told me I bought the wrong stuff. Well, nothing is "wrong" in a recipe, only an opportunity to make something else!


I've edited the recipe to how I did it, but click here for the original ingredients and here for the cooking directions!


BBQ Pork Recipe (Char Siu/Char Siew/蜜汁叉烧)
Ingredients:
4 lb pork butt (cut into slightly larger than bite size pieces)
6 tablespoons cooking oil
Char Siu (Char Siew) Sauce:
6 tablespoons maltose (barley malt, malt sugar---syrup form)
6 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
6 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons five-spice powder
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Method:
Add all ingredients in the char siu sauce in a sauce pan, heat it up and stir-well until all blended and become slightly thickened and sticky. Transfer out and let cool. Pour 2/3rds of the sauce into a large plastic bag and marinate overnight. 
Add the 6 tbs of oil to the remaining sauce and store in an airtight jar.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Add a rack to a roasting pan and fill the pan with water to come just below the rack. Wipe any excess marinade from the pork with a spoon and line the pieces up neatly in the roasting pan.
Place the pan in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F and roast for another 30-40 minutes, turning and basting frequently with the remaining marinade or with peanut or sesame oil. Serve on rice!
Use the sauce you had from before (mixed with oil, not off the raw meat) to top the rice. Excess marinade that touched raw meat is dangerous and needs to be cooked before you can use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment