Sunday, September 18, 2011

Spicy Chicken in Peanut Sauce

Foods like this is why I love the weekends. During the weekend I can cook up a storm and that's usually Saturday. Sunday is my slow-cooker day. It's a lot for only two of us, but thankfully we have lots of poor college student friends that seem to meander over when the cooker is on!

I got this from Pillsbury but changed it a little based on what we have and what we like.


Ingredients

1 TBS olive oil or vegetable oil
3 lbs chicken strips
1 packet onion soup mix
2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel), undrained
1 can (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter, plus a little more

2 cups cooked couscous, hot


Directions

1. Heat oil and cook chicken 4 minutes, turning once until brown.

2. In a 4-5 quart slow cooker, mix onion, tomatoes, honey, ginger, celery salt, cinnamon, and peanut butter. Add chicken. Mix until thoroughly coated.

3. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours. 

4. Stir in a little more peanut butter until melted and well blended. Serve over couscous.

For a little less spice you can do 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, and one can of diced tomatoes with chilies.

We were supposed to use cumin instead of the ginger and celery salt, but I got ready to cook and didn't actually have it! I thought it was definitely in my spice rack. I looked up what flavors go well with cumin and found this really helpful guide! I chose ginger and celery because I wanted to keep the pungent flavor that we're going for. Hopefully this guide will help other people too. It will definitely be bookmarked on my computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment